Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solstice

While out looking for a Christmas tree, climbed Solstice in Sibbald area on Dec. 2nd, 2018. Crossed at the beaver dam and stayed close to shore, pond ice was thick enough close to shore to walk on.

Rap off tree at top (other than the lower belay bolt, no other bolts). Looks like new cord added to the the maillon to rap off.

Lower ice is poor in areas (dinner plating)... my 13 yr old daughter describes it best, "annoying" ice.

Its been a three years since Solstice was this fat. Climbed it with my CSMC friends at night Dec 17th 2019. Nice ramp up the left for an easier lead or you could do as we did scramble up right of the rockband and drop down into the drainage from above. The tree just above the upper ice step has newly installed cord. The centre line on the falls is nicely vertical for a more challenging climb. Small group climbing recommended and stay well off to the sides when belaying. The ice above the falls is thin and easy to fracture. Just the ticket for a mild windy night. Solstice on the Solstice anyone?

Comment

Gerry - I heard there was a fallen tree hanging over the first pitch Don't recall if that was early this season or from last season. Is it still there? Does it need attention or a saw?

Comment

Nothing to worry about. No route grooming needed. The toppled tree is on the ground well supported by existing standing trees.

Comment

Working...
        X