Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route #21 - RD - Ranger Creek, from IceLines

Hi guys,

Sounds like a bunch of you are out getting amongst, FAs and early season ascents of the known performers. For those of you who aren't in the know, here is the first of the route pages from IceLines - Select Waterfalls of the Canadian Rockies. Route #21 is R&D, chosen specifically because it is a consistent early season route. Visit the Facebook page to keep up to date on the pre-release of the book.

https://www.facebook.com/icelinescanadianrockies

Some notes about the guidebook layout:

Colour bar around the page denotes the grade (blue = moderate or ~WI4). Icons for approach distance, elevation gain, aspect, ATES (black diamond = complex) and popularity (3 axes means you should expect to see multiple parties). I recommend using google earth with the UTM coordinates for the parking and for the base of the route to look at the terrain on the approach, as well as the terrain above the route (avalanche potential from start zones and slope angles). Google earth is great for this kind of stuff.

Thanks to Jeremy Mackenzie, Kananaskis Country Public Safety Section, ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide for providing the great route tip and to Tom Wolfe ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide for sponsoring the page. And special thanks to Iain Stewart-Patterson, ACMG/IMFGA Mountain Guide for the first ascent anecdote. (We have more than 30 anecdotes from the first ascents.)

Brent Peters

Alpine Guide and Author

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures

PeakStratagem - Solving the Rockies

https://www.facebook.com/icelinescanadianrockies

Looks well thought out Brent.

One issue I have providing coordinates is ensuring the guidebook provides a datum. There are still a number of maps for the Rockies that are in NAD27. Google Earth uses the NAD83 datum. Are you going to provide clarification in the introductory parts of the book?

Cheers!

Comment

Good question Foster. I am a bit of a navigation nerd from 18 years in the Armoured Corps (yes that's right, Canada still has one of those!!) so your reply comes at the perfect time. I will edit the section "How to use this guide" to confirm that all UTM coordinates provided in the guidebook are indeed NAD83. The UTMs are very important to me because I really believe that with our current level of technology, it allows outdoor enthusiasts to really prepare themselves navigationally before we even leave our door steps. In writing the guidebook, I have spent many days pouring over Google earth. I might be able to release a KML file in this forum to help everyone find the showcase routes. Let me know if you are interested in this resource.

Brent

Comment

Happy to help out. I've been teaching navigation skills to SAR teams for a couple of years now, and it's a bit maddening that recreational guides don't include this sort of information.

I would love to see a KML file for the showcased routes. I will be Beta testing some mapping software as well, so it would be a good scenario to test.

Cheers!

Comment

Climbed R&D today. It was a bit chandeliery and brittle at the bottom and soggy at the top, but the majority of the climb was nice plastic ice. The snow appears to have tightened up, which should help lower the slide risk but use your discretion, especially if it keeps snowing. All in all a good day!

Comment

Working...
          X