Mt Lunette - South Face: 08/31/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt Lunette - South Face: 08/31/2013

Climbed Lunette via the South Face scramble route with Ian H on Aug 31. Did the route car-car from the Settlers Road parking spot in a relaxed (but long) 13.5hr; 3hr to bivi meadow, 8hr up/back to meadow, 2.5hr back to car. The rain on Aug 30 left snow up high on Assiniboine and Lunette, with icy rime/verglass down to ~2400m level. Since we started from the car we weren't at the upper mountain until late morning so some had melted off with the clear sky and warm sun, however crampons were still used on/off from about 3200m.

Someone has flagged much of the route with cairns and pink surveyors tape from the end of the couloir (~2700m) up to about 3200m where it starts to disappear to due rockfall, etc. Route finding is only a challenge on the final ledges thru to the icy summit. (By the way, I'm amazed anyone has climbed the east face of Assiniboine - its steep and rotten!!)

Anton, congrats to you and Ian. I knew you boys would make quick time on that route. I am surprised by the rime/verglas above; glad you boys took your pons.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah, the crampons were a last minute decision, but sure happy we brought them!!

Comment

Working...
      X