Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re General Early Season Conditions

Dear All,

I am wondering if anyone can help. The second weekend of November I am hoping to get up to the K-Country (likely Ranger Creek drainage) for a first time this season on ice. Around here it has been very dry and warm--very much outside the norm. I have been looking at the weather in and around Banff/Canmore and it looks like it is finally getting cold enough at night, but perhaps not the requisite moisture. So, is there anyone out there who has a better sense of how things might be forming up in the K-Country? If I am better off waiting a few more weeks before getting out it sure would be good to know. It might be a bit too early to say with confidence what things will look like in mid-November, but still a sense of how things look mid-October 2012 compared to past years around this time would be helpful. Thanks for any information.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, Washington

If you have a 4x4 you should try for the Ghost, though I would bet RC will be in and hooked out by mid november.

Comment

yes, as noted, Ranger Creek should be "in" and some higher routes in the Ghost

You could also try routes around the Columbia Icefields; Lemonaide Springs, etc.

In general, it will be limited options and lots of competition to get on the few formed routes. If you can wait until late Nov or December then there will be plenty to choose from.

Comment

This is a great resource for what is in and where and when.

http://www.gravsports.com/Climbing%2...bing_Cycle.htm
        The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Dear Fellow Climbers,

Thanks much for the helpful information. Your replies helped. It is about 9 hours one way from Spokane to the K-Country, if everything goes right. It would be a bit disappointing to drive a good 18 hours just to get skunked on availability of climbable ice. I have gotten into the Ghost before but not in my car--this time it will be my car so the Ghost is not a great option. Thanks again and I hope everyone has a great season.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, WA.

Comment

Second weekend of November - you should be OK.

Ranger Creek climbs will be in, Joker in the Ghost will be in. Probably the top pitch of Anorexia Nervosa in Planter's Valley in the Ghost will be in. You can mix climb the bottom pitch, or bypass it by easy scrambling on a scree slope on the right.

Usually stuff forms 3rd week of October, right now is is quite warm during the day, but the nights are cold.

Comment

Hi PaulM,

Thanks for the additional data. One of the better aspects of climbing is the good people. Last winter I was in the K-Country twice in November--once mid-month, the other at the end of the month and of course last year things were fat. But this year our region seems to be trending on the dry and warm side. Around here we should be getting regular moisture and freezing at night by now--which is not happening this autumn--still warm at night and only minimal rain--no snow in the mountains so far. Hopefully that will change soon.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis

Comment

Hey Bob,

Some of us have four seater 4x4s and don't mind extra passengers.

Post up when you are here if you're looking for a ride into (and out) of the Ghost.
                Owner - 51North - Digital Marketing Agency
                President TABVAR

Comment

Haha I wouldn't go guaranteeing a ride out of the ghost so quick there iggi...

Comment

Hi Iggi,

Thanks for the offer. There is likely to be a time when I will take you up on your invitation. I have only been into the Ghost once and would enjoy getting in there again.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis

Comment

Working...
                    X