Announcement

Collapse

GSI shutting down

It is with regret that Gravsports Ice will be closing soon. Despite all of us here and many in the community being of the opinion that GSI is a better archiving system for information on ice climbing in the Canadian Rockies, this website will be shutting down.

Keeping the lights on and keeping conditions current no longer seems practical. We have tried making the forums more user friendly, and kept access to a vast array of beta and history contained on the website open to all. However low participation and increasing costs from both the website and hacker intrusions have lead us to this decision. Many thanks to Ian for past hosting costs. While the website will remain live for a short while you can expect it to disappear soon. We have talked of options to preserve the beta it contains however we offer no guarantees at this time.

We thank all our supporters, and everyone in the community for your past participation in GSI.
Regretfully
Will, Ian, and Grant.
See more
See less

Mount Athabasca - McKibbin Route M5 II: 4/19/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Athabasca - McKibbin Route M5 II: 4/19/2017

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I haven't posted here before!

Went up the McKibbin Route on Athabasca on Sunday with Nelson. Solid climbing once we finally got to the route, but the deep and soft snow on approach really slowed us down. Finding gear placements was difficult and required a lot of digging. Overall an awesome day and a beautiful alpine route for beginners! If anyone is interested in attempting it, I added notes and have a more detailed description on my website: http://blakemcintyre.com/home/2017/4...in-route-m5-ii

Thanks to Brandon Pullan for putting up and posting about the route, I never would have found it otherwise!

JacobC posted the following on 24-Mar-2019

We went up the McKibbin route yesterday.
    2 hr 15 min to the base of the route
    First pitch I decided to climb the crack for a more exciting start. Would say it makes the pitch M5 on some looser rock.
    The second pitch is M4, but felt easier - class 4 scrambling really.
    Third pitch was pretty cool, and felt like M4-M5 with mostly solid rock, although choss can always be found.
    Fourth pitch was the money pitch. We went straight up from the back of the cave (there is a nut fixed in place that was useful for the anchor and the first piece of pro). Solid rock and confidence inspiring placements for the tools. M5.
    We decided to climb the ridge up to the snow slope and walk down the snowslopes. If you are uncertain about this, I'd recommend searching out the rappel anchors.
    Summary - a lot of snow to approach the route, and a lot to get off the route, the route was mostly M4-M5, and moderate to heavy on the choss factor except for the last pitch.

Comment

Working...
    X