Announcement

Collapse

GSI shutting down

It is with regret that Gravsports Ice will be closing soon. Despite all of us here and many in the community being of the opinion that GSI is a better archiving system for information on ice climbing in the Canadian Rockies, this website will be shutting down.

Keeping the lights on and keeping conditions current no longer seems practical. We have tried making the forums more user friendly, and kept access to a vast array of beta and history contained on the website open to all. However low participation and increasing costs from both the website and hacker intrusions have lead us to this decision. Many thanks to Ian for past hosting costs. While the website will remain live for a short while you can expect it to disappear soon. We have talked of options to preserve the beta it contains however we offer no guarantees at this time.

We thank all our supporters, and everyone in the community for your past participation in GSI.
Regretfully
Will, Ian, and Grant.
See more
See less

Cascade area climbs 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascade area climbs 2018/19

24-Nov-2018

Rogans Gully - reported as climbed by a party. No info on conditions sorry.

Cascade - didnt look quite there yet.

Urs Hole - 6 parties on it throughout the day. Mostly in good shape but a couple of open water spots that can be bypassed.

The hanging glaciers are quite long making for low light. Headlamps arent essential but a little gloomy and some thin ice as you're climbing under the biggest of them.

There was a party on Urs Direct when we got there so we opted for the lefthand option. Ice was decent and it protected well up until the final narrow ribbon. The thin ribbon climbed well but wasnt really good for screws. There was also some fracturing on the dry bulges and some sticky wet ice in spots.

The direct looked featured and fun but another party grabbed it before we got off the other option. Getting good screws was reported to be a challenge but the climbing looked to be lots of fun.

Avi note. Low snow levels visible above. Fortunately the snow that hit Calgary, missed Banff. Beware after more snow loads above.

Mon 18-Feb-2019

Took advantage of the mod-low-low avi rating to climb Rogans Gully. Climb was in decent shape but has accumulated a fair bit of snow on the low angle ice through the middle making it more of a snow slog up but an easy descent. First pitch was in good shape, had some snow on it but took decent screws. The chockstones were relatively straight forward and other than some thin ice were good. Took the right hand finish because it looked clear of snow unlike the left hand finish. Fun climbing with a range of difficulty. The easiest line would require a bit of doglegging and rope drag but if you take a straighter line it can be fun and steeper.

We were the only party on the route and it didn't look like anyone had been on it for at least a day or two, maybe longer.

It was a while since I last did it and I had vague recollections of rapping on some mank down the first pitch so I took along some new hardware. The tat has now been replaced with a rap ring and chain. I think last time I was there it had more ice or snow because 2ft lower below the tat (now new hardware) there is an older anchor with chain bolted to the rock that I didn't recall. We left that in place.

Higher up the route there are one or two anchors where you thread and pull your rope through cord. Another had cord with a mallion. I might have considered adding mallions or changing to chain if I had it but I only took hardware for that first rap anchor.

Comment

Working...
    X